As a frontrunner in the forest industry, UPM provides renewable and recyclable products for everyday use. We invest in sustainable growth and innovate for a future beyond fossils. Responsibility is at the core of everything we do. UPM’s Biofore strategy guides the company in achieving its responsibility targets for 2030 and in contributing to the UN Sustainability Development Goals (SDG). UPM constantly seeks for collaboration partners with whom it can develop and promote circular bioeconomy innovations that take advantage of side streams and sustainable product development and promote the efficiency of supply chains.
UPM is committed to responsible waste management in its maritime transport and to maximise the use of existing port technologies to recover its ship-generated waste. In addition, as a partner of the Baltic Sea Action Group (BSAG), the company commits to actively promote circular economy and the industry best practices in all its shipping and related activities.
UPM makes a commitment to the Baltic Sea Action Group (BSAG) for the years 2022–2026. The commitment focuses on agreed collaboration under BSAG’s Ship Waste Action initiative (SWA) and the practical implementation of the results gained from the initiative.
The commitment includes the following targets:
- As a shipper and charterer, UPM
- will discharge the black and grey wastewaters and sewage of all time-chartered vessels – ie., vessels fully operated by the company – ashore in its four main ports in Finland: Rauma, Hamina, Kotka and Pietarsaari.
- for vessels on long-term contract of affreightment agreement and on voyage charter agreements UPM is committed to promoting SWA initiative to its shipping partners always when possible.
- to explore the opportunities to discharge the wash waters of cargo holds ashore for possible recovery together with BSAG.
- UPM will with its own activities support the implementation of SWA initiative and will actively utilise existing circular economy solutions. The company
- will make use of BSAG’s Baltic Sea Waste info in its own marine transport operations and in its operations with partnering shipping companies to the extent possible
- will promote the use of recycled nutrients generated from ship-generated wastewaters in its own wastewater treatment plants as part of the company’s 2030 responsibility target to use only recycled nutrients in all of its biological wastewater treatment plants.
- will participate in communicating SWA in cooperation with BSAG
- will develop its own and the industry’s operations as well as co-operation with its partners to promote circular economy
As a member of SWA initiative coordinated by BSAG, UPM is developing its own marine transfer operations and shipping together with other industry players to promote circular economy. In addition, the company is committed to communicating the responsible waste management of its shipping operations. The commitment is valid for five years and its progress is monitored and reported annually together with BSAG.